Sunday 21 January 2018

How to Write a Gamer

Gaming is a big part of many teenagers (and the lives of people of all ages) nowadays, and it's often included in YA novels. However, sometimes I don't quite believe that writers have much experience with video games, themselves. This isn't meant to be a call-out post to any specific writer, but just some hints that you could include in your writing.

First - we don't all like the same types of games. There are as many types of games as there are genres of books. For example, I like more story-driven games, RPGs, some indie titles and most Nintendo titles. I've always thought you can tell a lot about a character from what their favourite films are, and video games are similar to that. Contrarily, I don't play a lot of multiplayer games. Yes, not all games are multiplayer, there is such a thing as singleplayer games. I had no-one to play multiplayer games with when I was younger, so I never picked up the habit. While I do enjoy them with friends, they're not what I tend to reach for, either. And playing with strangers doesn't appeal to me, although I understand why some people enjoy it.

Second - we don't use video game speak in our everyday lives. The only time I would call someone a 'noob' for example, is ironically and only if I'm in a group of other gamers who would get the joke. Also, a related term with very similar meaning is scrub. Again, though, I wouldn't use it with non-gaming friends.

Third - girls play video games. And we don't all get into them just because we had an older brother, either. Quite honestly, the idea that the only way a girl can have more masculine interests is is she has brothers is one I would happily see buried. I got into them because it was something I could do by myself, as an only child.

Fourth - it can be just a hobby. I'll cheerfully nerd out over the tiniest details in many of my favourite games, but it's not my whole life. They're one of the best stress relievers I know. I'm not planning to become a game developer or make a million off YouTube Let's Plays. Those are not as big a thing anymore, either. If you want to seem more current, have your characters watch a game on Twitch. Or even stream one themselves.

Fifth - if you don't know, stay unspecific. "He threw his console out the window" rather than "He threw his PlayStation out the window." You know, just in case the console you mention may not even be out where your book is set. "Now he hasn't even got a video game to take his mind off things" rather than "Now he hasn't even got Mega-Mutilation Part 3 to take his mind of things." There's more to video games than violent ones, anyway. And keep in mind if it's reasonable for a character to know something. A non-gamer may well assume most TV consoles are PlayStations and that any Nintendo handheld is called a GameBoy. Have a character gently correct "Well, it's actually a 3DS..." to show you did your research but are still bearing in mind narrative voice.

Sixth - not all of us will have everything. Some will have a tricked out gaming PC they bought themselves, all the latest consoles and every game on release. Some will be surviving with last generations systems, second hand games, and Steam sales on a laptop, due to lack of funds. Some may use predominantly handhelds, some will prefer PC gaming over everything. Every type of gamer is equally valid.

Seventh - some good phrases. "I watched a video game stream on Twitch last night." "I bought a few new games on Steam." "I was achievement-hunting for hours." "My favourite games are JRPGs." "I collect Amiibo." "They should port more games to the Switch." "I don't think the Xbox One is living up to it's potential." "My gamer tag is ...." (A gamer tag is like a username, often a nickname with a few numbers after it) If games aren't your thing, any one of these can be used to clue the reader in that your character likes gaming, and you don't have to make a big conversation about it. Here's a sample conversation where the main character isn't the gamer:

I entered the school hall, and noticed my best friend talking by the lockers, to a boy I knew she was interested in. "I think they should port more games to the Switch," she said.
"Talking about video games again?" I said with a smile.
"Hi, how are you?" she said.

I've introduced the fact that she likes video games, with a statement a lot of gamers have been saying, and lead them off the subject so discussion of it doesn't take over the story. If you're not overly confident in your use of gaming terminology, just move the conversation on.

So, there's a few tips! Also, if you're curious, here are my experiences with gaming. I got in through my GameBoy and Pokémon (Still love it, favourite Pokémon - Vulpix). I played mostly PC games growing up - my parents didn't let me have a console for the longest time. Nowadays, I am making do with a laptop and handhelds because of a sheer lack of space. I can't fit a TV in my bedroom, and the house TV is where Dad lives. (seriously)

2 comments:

  1. These are great tips! And with video games appearing more in YA books I feel like authors might struggle with how to make it feel real. And there are so many different types of games, and gamers, that even if you represent one type well, branching out to another might be difficult if the author doesn't know that type as well. Hopefully some of them will read this!

    Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! That's sort of why I wanted to make this post - I feel a lot of people just aren't aware of the sheer variety of games there are out there.

      Delete